Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pressing and Drilling

Pressing and drilling your comics is the first step where you really feel like you are making a book.   For me it is where the fun really begins, but it can be a bit harrowing when you first put a power drill to your comics.   Don't fret, the whole process is pretty forgiving and mistakes are generally not seen once the book bind is completed.






































I set up my press so my bolts hold the exact spot I need the comics in to begin drilling.   It saves a lot of time trying to line them up by eye.   You want about 1/4 of the spine hanging outside of the press.





















 Getting a tight bind starts in the press.   You want the stack as tight as possible.

 






















Check you comics one last time before you start drilling.








































I have marked my press with dots to help me find my desired hole pattern for stitching.








































Please use caution when using any power tools.   They are fairly easy to use but can cause a lot of damage to furniture, flesh or other valuables if you are not careful when handling them.   SAFETY FIRST.





















Don't worry if the back side of the end papers have some blow out.   It will happen.   The binding ribbon will cover these up and correct any roughness to the holes.


You are now at the point of no return.   But don't fret, the fun has just begun.

Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment