Sunday, February 9, 2014



Welcome to Home Comicbook Binding.   This site will be used to promote the hobby of binding comic books at home.   I will be sharing tips and tricks so you too can try this at home.   I have been doing home binding for the last few years.   I am totally self taught with help from youtube and other binding blog.   To date, I have bound approximately 70 books and have received a lot of positive feedback from friends who have seen my work.  Over the next few weeks, I will be completing a tutorial that I have been working on for the last year or so.   Thanks for visiting the site and feel free to ask any questions.

Lets start off with the items you will need to begin binding your own comic book colection.   Most of these are either part of your normal home tool chest, or can be purchased at Dollar Tree.   There are a few specialty crafting items that you will need.   I suggest you get these at Micheals.   Always use a coupon at Micheals.   They are available on line and give you a minimum of 40% off one item.

Here are the basic tools of the trade (starting at bottom left moving right).
-Comics
-Binding press
-Pencil
-Pencil sharpener
-Ruler
-X-Acto knife
-Tape
-1-1/2" to 2" ribbon (for use on spine)
-Heavy gauge needle
-1/8" to 1/4" ribbon (for use as page marker)
-1/4" plastic ribbon (for use in stitching book)
-12" X 12" card stock and colored paper
-A 2nd roll of 1-1/2" to 2" ribbon
-Decoupage Tool Set (roller and squeegee)
-Drill (corded or cordless) with 1/8" drill bit.
Also needed but not shown
-Elmers Glue-All glue
-Glue sticks
-Alphabet stamps
-Stamp ink

The only item you have to make on your own is the book press.   I used some extra plywood I had arond the house.   There are a few good videos on youtube which will help you make your press.

Here is one example.












I used a 4 bolt system that help me keep my comics lined up correctly.   Keep in mind there is no one way to do this.   

So, that is it for step one on the journey to bind you own comic books. 

Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment